Your blood oxygen saturation level is the amount of oxygen circulating in your blood. Oxygen is important for life, and our bodies require a specific amount of oxygen that circulates in our blood. Oxygen can enter your body via your mouth, nose, and lungs into the bloodstream.
After it goes into the bloodstream, the oxygen will go to cells all over the human body. All the cells in your body need oxygen to create proper energy, and this can help fulfill all the important processes. Before learning more about the Spo2 normal range, read the guide below to learn more about the ways to increase it.
What Happens When Your Blood Cells Use Oxygen?
After your blood cell uses oxygen, it can create carbon dioxide; the bloodstream can help carry it back to the lungs. After that, you breathe that out via your nose or mouth.
Your body is known to tightly regulate amounts of oxygen in the blood, as hypoxemia can often lead to various serious conditions and damage your organ systems. The damage will be mostly to the brain and heart. Low blood oxygen levels also indicate that your lungs and/or circulatory system may not be working properly.
What is a Blood Oxygen Level Test?
There are two important ways to measure or test blood oxygen levels, and they are:
- Via a blood draw test
- Via pulse oximetry (using an oximeter)
A blood draw test can help provide more information regarding your oxygen levels compared to an oximeter.
Oxygen Level Blood Draw Test
Healthcare experts can measure your blood oxygen level as part of the larger test known as the ABG test. An ABG test can help measure your blood’s oxygen and carbon dioxide levels. The test can also check the balance of acids and bases in your blood. Not having a proper acid level can harm your body.
It can also help measure the spo2 levels via a small clip that will be placed on your toe or finger. An oximeter reading can help indicate the level of blood saturated with oxygen, known as the SpO2 level, and your heart rate.
How Do You Increase Your Blood Oxygen Level?
You can do multiple things to help improve your blood oxygen level. In short-term, you can do the following:
- You can stand or sit up straight: Instead of lying down, which can pressurize your lungs and make it difficult to breathe.
- You can go outside: Fresh air is said to be good for the lungs and has more levels of oxygen in it. But whether it is cold or hot, there may be an obstruction to breathing.
- Cough: If you have a cold or are suffering from flu, breathing may decrease oxygen saturation in your blood. When you cough, secretions may be loosened up, and your airway may be cleared.
- You can drink lots of water: Properly hydrated lungs are considered more efficient at dispersing oxygen to the bloodstream.
- You can take slow and deep breaths: This will help enhance the amount of air going inside your lungs.
On a long-term basis, you can do the following:
- You can practice breathing exercises: Working on continuous breathing techniques can help build up your lung capacity and allow more oxygen to reach your blood.
- You can choose to be active: Physical activity can help enhance your breathing rate, and this can help you take in more oxygen. Similarly, when you work out, you can improve your fitness, and it is also good for your lungs.
- If you are a smoker, you can quit: This can help benefit the health of your lungs in a short time, and your blood oxygen level will also increase in the process.
- You can get house plants: As plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, they can freshen the air quality you breathe indoors. The air will also be similar to that of the outdoors.
- Consume iron-rich foods: RBCs need iron, and this is why they might function better when you get more iron in your diet.
What Are Some Symptoms of Low Oxygen Levels in the Blood?
The possible symptoms of low blood oxygen levels can include the following:
- Heavy breathing
- More blood pressure
- Shortness of breath
- Coordination loss
- Impaired vision
Before you learn about the Spo2 normal range, you can learn more about the oxygen levels in your blood. You can also visit the Ask Apollo website to learn about the medical experts in Apollo hospital who can test your blood oxygen levels. They can also suggest the best ways to improve the blood oxygen level in the body.